The investigation into the May 13 Senate gunfire incident was guided by strict reliance on physical and digital evidence, including CCTV footage and ballistic analysis, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Wednesday.
“This investigation serves as a testament to the PNP’s commitment to truth and accountability. We do not operate on rumors or political narratives,” PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said in a statement lauding the investigating teams.
“Our duty is to the facts, and by adhering strictly to the evidence — such as ballistic trajectories and verified CCTV footage — we uphold the integrity of our mandate to protect the public and ensure that justice is grounded in reality, not fear.”
Nartatez praised the investigating units for the speedy completion of the probe, finished in less than a week, underscoring the PNP’s reliance on evidence-based findings over speculation.
“By prioritizing factual analysis — including ballistics and digital forensics — over speculation, our teams ensured that we provided the Filipino people with clear, objective answers in record time, proving that the PNP remains a highly capable and responsive institution,” he said.
Nartatez also stressed the importance of promptly releasing the findings to prevent misinformation and public confusion.
“By acting swiftly and openly, we aim to restore calm, demystify the events of May 13, and hold all involved parties accountable based on the irrefutable evidence we have uncovered,” he said.
The probe was conducted in line with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla to leave “no stone unturned” in uncovering the truth behind the incident.
The investigation report was formally turned over to acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida during a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday.
During the briefing, Remulla said the Senate was not under attack on the night of May 13, citing that evidence gathered so far, including CCTV footage and sworn statements, indicated that the incident was initiated by former police general and Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca, and not an armed assault against the chamber.
According to Remulla, CCTV footage reviewed by investigators showed Aplasca firing the first shots toward National Bureau of Investigation agents who were at the Senate premises to inspect the area.
Despite the evidence gathered and reviewed in recent days, Remulla emphasized that investigators have yet to conclude whether the incident was staged or premeditated.
“We will let the evidence speak for itself,” he said. “The investigation remains ongoing, and all angles will be examined carefully and fairly.”
Nartatez said Aplasca had been directed to appear before the PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to surrender his firearm and undergo ballistic examination, but has so far failed to comply. (PNA)

