Sara Duterte Declares 2028 Presidential Bid, Apologizes For Backing Marcos

Spotlight

Vice President Sara Duterte on Wednesday formally declared her intention to run for president, apologizing to Filipinos for supporting President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. in the 2022 elections and accusing the administration of corruption and broken promises.

In a speech addressing supporters, Sara said she had come to terms with what she described as a life devoted to public service and responsibility to the country. Citing Proverbs 19:21, she reflected on her 47 years of life and said she had accepted that her path was not solely her own.

Sara alleged that in the early months of the current administration she witnessed what she called a lack of integrity in the president’s campaign pledges and sworn duties. She said she chose to leave the Cabinet after refusing to be part of what she described as a 2025 national budget “tainted with corruption,” adding that she had anticipated impeachment proceedings as a consequence as early as 2023.

Addressing the public directly, Sara apologized for helping Marcos win the presidency. She cited widespread flooding, rising prices of basic goods, inadequate incomes, food insecurity, and what she described as weaknesses in the healthcare system as among the country’s pressing concerns. She also pointed to infrastructure issues, criminality, illegal drugs, terrorism, and what she characterized as the absence of a clear and independent foreign policy amid tensions between China and the United States.

Sara further claimed she had been subjected to sustained political attacks, including investigations she described as “scripted” and allegations repeatedly aired to damage her reputation. She referenced an incident involving her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, and criticized what she called the use of government machinery against her.

Despite the criticisms, Sara said she was not afraid for herself but expressed concern for future generations and for Filipinos who, she said, have no alternative homeland.

“I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation,” she said, urging Filipinos to restore courage and compassion in governance.

Sara Duterte ended her speech by formally announcing, “Ako si Sara Duterte, tatakbo bilang Pangulo ng Pilipinas,” confirming her bid for the presidency.

H/T: Inday Sara Duterte | Facebook